Will be involved in all aspects of teaching these classes. Includes lesson planning, grading, classroom management, after-school academy, instruction, supervision, keeping a clean classroom, contacting parents, and extra-curricular activities. Will also be involved with church activities both in-reach and out-reach. Church attendance is required.
- To teach your assigned classes and to undertake such extra-curricular activities and supervisory duties as administration may assign.
- By precept and example seek to uphold Christ as Friend and Lord and endeavor to lead students to a similar understanding.
- Maintain careful records of attendance and scholastic performance in the register and grade book for that purpose; make course outlines and lesson plans as prescribed by the administration.
- Maintain proper control of the students’ behavior in the classroom, school grounds and premises in accordance with the rules and regulations stipulated in the Handbook.
- Maintain neatness and cleanliness in the classroom and school grounds; create visual aids, posters and displays in bulletin boards, thus supporting a positive learning environment; be responsible for janitorial work in and around classroom and undertake supervisory duties at lunch hour, and at other times in rotation with other teachers.
- Attend regular staff meetings as scheduled and other required meetings and events even after school; join in‐service sessions and workshops in order to maintain or increase your level of teaching skills.
- Undertake any other duties and responsibilities considered as part of a normal load; work in harmony with school programs and activities outlined in the Staff Handbook/Bulletin, and other directives set forth by the Board and administration.
- Regularly attend weekend services and assist in church programs according to talents and abilities. (Sabbath School classes for all ages that need leaders and assistants, Pathfinder club, youth meetings during the week, door-to-door and prison ministries.) The ministries that can be joined in are extensive and many more could be led by you!
Men teach in long pants (no jeans) but may wear shorts off campus or after school. Men must wear collared shirts to church meetings.
Women may wear loose fitting skirts and dresses past the knee or modest dress slacks when working. Women may wear long, modest shorts, slacks or pants when going off campus.
Unacceptable Dress: Women - Tight and/or short shorts are never acceptable, nor sleeveless or sheer blouses or dresses. A conservative hairstyle is preferred for men and women. Please refrain from bringing or wearing jewelry.
If school housing is available, 10% of living allowance will be deducted from your monthly check. You may share your apartment with other volunteers. If school housing is not available, the school provides $300 USD per month to assist with rent and utilities. Basic housekeeping supplies are provided. Linens/bedding not provided. 110V electricity with American plugs.
Saipan is the capital island of the US Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands to the north of Guam. Our Saipan SDA Elementary School is an EC-8 school located on beautiful grounds. We are a true mission school with approximately 97% of our approximately 180 students being non-Adventists. Class size is limited to 20. This school is AAA accredited through the NAD.
Monthly Living Allowance: USD 1411.40, less taxes and as adjusted for experience, degree, certification
This assignment is available only for volunteers from the United States or Canada.
Important Orientation Information: Plan to arrive at Honolulu International Airport (HNL), Hawaii, on Friday, August 2, 2019. Please register between 12:00 to 6:00 p.m. or as soon as you arrive. Orientation evening meeting begins at 6:15 p.m. Departure to the island schools is on Wednesday, August 7, 2019, flight UA201 to Guam, arriving on Thursday, August 8, and then proceeding to Saipan the next morning, August 9, on UA174. Applicants need to hold a current US work permit or US passport. This is because of local visa restrictions and limitations on Saipan.
Divers insurance is required before you scuba dive and can be obtained through www.travelerEMS.com
Photo credit: facebook.com/sdaschoolsaipan