- Teach a small classroom of 12-14 Syrian refugee children currently living in Lebanon.
- Generally, ALC follows a project-based learning method that uses hands-on creative ways to integrate English, Math, Science, social studies and other subjects into explorative learning. Arabic will be taught separately.
- You will teach a classroom of children who may be the age of the grade listed, but whose English skills are not at the grade level listed.
- You will use resources provided to create and implement a curriculum and activities that will encourage curiosity and facilitate active hands-on learning that pushes kids to catch up to their grade level in English.
- You will be provided with a list of key competencies that children of this age/grade level should know and then they will have the flexibility and liberty to create projects that will help them to teach the competencies they choose.
- Training and support will be available to help you create and implement successful projects.
- Classroom hours will be from 9am - 3pm. Afternoon hours on work days are spent doing home visits and other interactions with families.
- You will also have the opportunity to develop Arabic conversational skills through daily interactions with the community and children.
- Adventurous, creative, and outgoing.
- Language: English, Arabic (optional)
- 4+ years College/Univ.
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to build positive relationships with children and co-workers
- Conflict resolution skills
- Adapt and interact in intercultural environment
- BS degree
Acceptable Dress: Women: Dresses or skirts below the knee; jeans, capris, knee length shorts, or dress pants; blouses, t-shirts, etc. Men: Jeans, slacks, knee length shorts, dress shirts or t-shirts.
Unacceptable Dress: Nothing above the knee - no spaghetti strap/ sheer/ or low cut blouses or dresses.
Dorm room or possibility of a shared apartment if a female.
- Local Travel
- Travel to/from Location
Monthly Living Allowance: USD 500
Work schedule: Monday - Thursday 8:15-3 teaching; With afternoon visiting or family programs. We function on a 40 hour work week. Volunteers are expected to participate and assist with House of Prayer, the Sabbath worship service at ALC at least 2 Sabbaths a month
Tourist Visa - Changed to residence permit within 90 days of arrival. Cost covered by ALC
Photo by Senjuti Kundu on Unsplash
Teach Syrian refugee children by using a project-based learning method that uses hands-on, creative ways to teach.
August 2019 - May 2020
VividFaith is getting ready for your participation. But while we're working on a streamlined application process, click here to apply for this assignment directly through Adventist Volunteer Services.